Providers of a broad range of commercial cleaning and janitorial services through a global franchise network.
Cleaning, Commercial Cleaning
20,000 - £
Jani King was established in the US in 1968 providing after-hours janitorial services. In the early 1970’s the company launched its franchise business.
The company obtains the commercial cleaning accounts and the Jani-King franchisee begins with an initial customer base.
The first international Master Franchise was granted in Canada in 1986. On the Jani-King website the company states that it was ranked as the #1 Commercial Cleaning Franchisor by Entrepreneur magazine in 1986, and a further 19 times over the course of 20 years.
During the 1990’s Jani-King franchises were established in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, France, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, and Turkey. There are currently more than 9,000 authorized franchisees with over 120 regional / support offices in 14 countries. This makes Jani-King the largest commercial cleaning franchise company in the world.
The franchise network focuses on commercial establishments, namely office buildings, shopping malls, hospitals and clinics, hotels, sporting venues, universities and colleges, restaurants, and manufacturing facilities. There are currently an estimated 60,000 clients.
In addition, Jani-King takes pride in using green cleaning services in terms of equipment, eco-cleaning products, and procedures or methods whenever possible. These are aimed at reducing environmental impact, providing a high-quality service, and minimising costs.
The clients served by Jani King franchises
Franchisees offer janitorial cleaning services at all or some of the following types of venues:
• Offices and buildings
• Healthcare facilities
• Manufacturing facilities
• Sports venues
• Gyms and health clubs
• Government and federal buildings and facilities
• Retail venues including car dealerships
• Cinemas and theatres
• Schools, colleges, and universities
The details of the specific services, the frequency of provision, days, times, etc. are negotiated separately with each customer.
How does the Jani-King franchise model work?
Once a franchise has be established, the franchisee has access to the existing commercial cleaning contracts held by the franchisor in the relevant area or location. This means that you won’t have to begin with intensive launch marketing or cold calling; that will, however, be part of your business as it is with any other.
New owners can also decide whether they want to work full- or part-time. A further option is to begin part-time and build the business up from there. There are also several different franchise types to select from.
The different Jani-King franchise packages
There are two types of commercial cleaning packages available for franchisees:
• Unit Franchise: This option is for a home-based business. It provides the franchisee with a business plan, training, and support from the local office. Based on the investment level, the franchisee will also be provided with details of new accounts to service.
• Master Franchise: Two of the key features of this type of long-term (20 years renewable up to 100 years) franchise are that you will have an exclusive territory and the right to sell unit franchises both of which increase earning potential. Master Franchisees open a regional office from which they offer support to their franchisees and sales to clients.
Which you select will depend on your business ambitions and your budget. In addition, the number and level of new accounts provided to a new franchisee by Jani-King depends on investment level.
How to become a Jani-King franchisee
There are seven stages to go through in order to become a fully launched franchisee:
1. Contact Jani-King: You can either click on the enquiry button found on this page, or alternatively fill in and submit the contact form on the website or call the office closest to you. Provide contact times and details so that a company representative can get in touch with you.
2. Attend a Jani-King franchise presentation: At the presentation you will be informed about the company and franchise and you will be given an opportunity to ask questions and request further information.
3. Register: If necessary – and it’s a good idea to seek professional advice about this – register a business and / or for tax purposes.
4. Sign up as a Jani-King Franchisee: You will be given a contract to sign which details the agreement between you as the franchisee and the franchisor. The agreement grants you a license to trade in your designated area and to receive training.
5. Training: The training provided covers, among other areas, the use of cleaning equipment, cleaning practices and methods, customers service, basic administration, inspection techniques, and marketing.
6. Equipment and supplies: These are not supplied by Jani-King and the franchisee is not obliged to by them from the franchisor. However, you won’t be able to start operating until you have invested in start-up equipment and supplies. You will be guided and advised in terms of what you need to buy.
7. Launch your franchise: Once you have complied with the contractual requirements you will be provided with business leads and may also market to new clients in your designated area.
Figures are approximate as those provided by the company are quoted in US dollars.
What will I get for my investment in a Jani-King franchise?
As a new Jani-King franchisee you will receive:
• Training: There is a comprehensive training program provided to franchisees that runs over six to eight non-consecutive weeks. The training covers best cleaning practices, equipment and product use, and green and eco products.
• Guarantee: You will be provided with an offer of monthly business. It should be noted that (a) this is an offer not firm business and (b) it is only up to the agreed value of turnover.
• Support: Administrative and back-office assistance is supplied to new franchisees, and mentoring, guidance, and advice are provided on an ongoing basis.
• Marketing: All franchisees benefit from the strength and reputation of the Jani-King brand, the proven business plan, and the marketing and advertising program. You can purchase promotional material such as leaflets.
• Assistance with procurement: Although you will have to pay for the items, you benefit from the franchisor’s relationships with manufacturers. This leads to competitive prices and the ability to make use of equipment leasing programs.
• Insurance: As a franchisee you can access the insurance available through the company’s insurance program and customise cover to suite your requirements.
Master Franchisees receive an additional benefit as they are assisted with marketing and selling their first franchises and to ‘sell’ customers to the franchisees they sign up.
Do I need experience in the commercial cleaning industry to become a Jani-King franchisee?
No, because training and support are provided. However, some individuals are better suited to this business opportunity than others. Being sales-minded, customer service orientated, and having a good, basic understanding of what is needed for a business are big advantages.
Master Franchisees will benefit from additional abilities such as presentation skills.
Do I have to pay anything monthly if I become a Jani-King franchisee?
Yes. Jani-King requires a sizeable percentage of the franchisee takings. 40 per cent is deducted from the amount the client is billed and the remaining 60 per cent goes to the franchisee.
Where in the UK does the Jani-King franchise operate?
There are currently multiple locations. The franchisor is particularly interested in placing franchisees in:
• Central and Greater London and within the M25
• East Anglia
• Yorkshire and Northern England
• The West and East Midlands
• Bristol and South West
• South East and South Coast
Will I be able to get an area of my choice?
You should enquire directly with Jani-King in this regard.
What can I expect to earn when running a Jani-King franchise?
It is not possible to provide an average amount as there are too many variables involved including the nature of the franchise contract and the area.
Income is not guaranteed as it depends on several factors including the investment level, the quantity or value of monthly business you will be given as per the contract, and the amount and quality of work done by the franchisee.
There are multiple potential sources of income for a Master Franchisee as, over and above the provision of services, there are franchise sales, the leasing or sale of equipment to franchisees, and contract royalties.
How soon will I start making money when running a Jani-King franchise?
If you make good use of the business leads provided to you at the commencement of your contract and find clients of your own, you should start to generate income from your first month in business.
Do I need to do my own marketing?
Although Jani-King provides an ongoing effective national sales and marketing campaign that each franchise benefits from, each franchise owner is responsible for marketing in their territory.
What is not included when I become a Jani-King franchisee?
If you have a Unit Franchise you need space for equipment and supplies and a home office where you can handle calls and admin work. A suitable vehicle is also necessary.
Cleaning, office, and marketing supplies must be purchased. Equipment must be bought or rented. Uniforms are also an important part of branding and looking professional.
Master Franchisees will also need to rent office premises.
Does Jani-King offer any financing support?
No. If you require financing you will need to approach a bank for a business loan. The local Jani-King office may assist with preparation for lodging an application.
Interested in this franchise opportunity?
For additional information on
Jani-King, simply send us an