Some of the reasons women give for not starting a business are rooted in fear. Perhaps we should stop allowing trepidation to hold us back, says EWiF
There are many reasons why you may be thinking you’d quite like to start your own business but are holding yourself back from doing so. You wouldn’t be the first.
Much research has been conducted on why women are less visible at the top. Aside from external obstacles, we face internal barriers too. These include:
- Lack of confidence
- Desire to avoid risk
- Not knowing what opportunities are available
- How to fund it
- A feeling of inadequacy
- Not knowing how to start
For years, women have been told they can have it all. And while at Encouraging Women into Franchising (EWiF) we believe this statement is true, we also believe it’s found in knowing where to find the right opportunity to do what you want to do. This means without limitations, including those internal limitations we put on ourselves… “I can’t do it because… (fill in the gap).”
Right across our network of ambassadors, we see women taking control of their futures. Many were once afraid to step out of their comfort zone. Many were fearful they’d fail. Many didn’t think that they had what it takes to be a leader. All of them faced their fears and did it anyway.
What made the difference?
Franchising. Looking at the barriers we’ve already discussed, franchising:
- Reduces the risks around starting a new business. This is because the business model is already proven to be a success. Customers are already using the services provided by franchisees operating under the brand
- Is less about moving out of your comfort zone, and more about expanding your zone. This is because you can combine the skills that you already feel confident in with the knowledge, experience and training provided by the franchisor
- Increases your chances of success. This is because the process of running a franchise is geared around supporting you to succeed. The groundwork has been laid, so you can build
- Trains you to lead. This means you’ll be equipped to lead your own business with confidence. To find the right clients and customers. To hire the right staff. To promote your business, your services, and offerings
- Empowers you with supportive networks. This means you can find strength, inspiration and encouragement from within your network and the wider franchise community. We’re stronger together.
“I always did something I was a little not ready to do. I think that’s how you grow”
– Marissa Mayer, Google’s first female engineer, former CEO of Yahoo, I.T. developer
Feel the fear: Do it anyway
At EWiF, we’re proud to watch stories unfold for women in franchising. We’d love to help you, too. We’re offering you a free 30-minute mentoring session with one of our ambassadors, plus, an open invitation to attend one of our regional meetings where you can meet franchisors and franchisees living and working near you.